Contractor issues surrounding carbon monoxide

Carbon monoxide remains one of the biggest issues for industry
professionals as any mistake can lead to life-threatening situations for
residents of the building.

Poor workmanship on a pool heater led to the deaths of three guests at a
hotel in North Carolina, USA. According to a November 19 Charlotte Observer
article, the faulty repair was part of a number of errors that led to the leaking
of carbon monoxide, causing the deaths in April 2013. The guests were staying
in the room above the pool heater and all died overnight, 53 days after the
faulty work was undertaken.

The State Board of Examiners of Plumbing, Heating & Fire Sprinkler
Contractors discovered at the hearing that the man in question had converted
the pool heater from propane to natural gas; in doing so, he had violated the
manufacturer’s instructions and the State’s safety standards, and created a
risk to both himself and the property. The State Board has suspended the worker’s
licence for the faulty work.

Following the deaths caused by CO poisoning, the North Carolina General
Assembly passed a new law that now requires all hotels in the state to install
carbon monoxide alarms. These would be placed near heaters, appliances and
fireplaces where carbon monoxide can be a problem.

This particular hotel, part of a large hotel chain, has also responded
to the incident by installing carbon monoxide alarms in all guestrooms.

Though the right measures have been taken following the incident, the
problem of poor safety standards observed by workers remains unresolved.

According to statistics from The Allen Consulting Group, there is, on
average, one death per year in Australia from carbon monoxide poisoning.
However, there are also over 21 injuries recorded every 12 months. These
figures underline the necessity for businesses to employ workers who are
capable of detecting carbon monoxide problems and are also aware of state and
national standards.

Australia has strict rules and regulations governing maintenance work, with
non-compliance leading to severe penalties.

Industry workers who wish to learn more about carbon monoxide can join
one of the training courses offered by testo. The training courses are designed
for professionals and presented by expert professionals with years of
experience in the industry.

Along with the right training, companies can equip their employees with
the best instruments available for testing carbon monoxide levels.

The testo 317-3 ambient CO meter detects carbon
monoxide gas emitted by heaters, air-conditioning systems and ventilation
systems.

Leave a Reply

©2021 All Rights Reserved. Ferret is a registered trademark of Prime Creative Media.

replica rolex is easy to operate and easy to read.

diamond painting kits is an easy and enjoyable activity for crafters young and old.

how much are ebony sex dolls?